The adventure


I’ve been given input, scoldings, advice and other forms of communication about what I should have done on Saturday to avoid a near death experience.


Please share thoughts about the following question: was I being naïve, irresponsible, other?


It all started when I left for a walk on Saturday morning with Courtney and Charlene (as I do daily) and we considered climbing longonot.  It was already too hot, but we thought perhaps we could venture to naivasha to see swimming hippos.


Court had never taken a matatu. We asked several people the best place to go and they all said “hippo camp”, so off we went on a mat.  Took a really really long time to get to naivasha, but the way was filled with hilarity, for example, a guy asking “are you from china” to me..”because you look so Chinese”.


Right.  I bought a banana and he went away from me after asking me my name, then repeating it back to me as mombasa.


Courtney’s was pronounced CORTAIN.  So we were officially nicknamed the Chinese woman: mombasa and her friend, courtain.


The matatu we jumped to hippo camp took us someplace terrible.  The EVIL HIPPO SAFARI.


3000 KSH for a boatride?  I said we are outta here.  He said “hippo camp is SO far, in fact that bus of students there is going there currently..”


so I talked to the bus monitor and offered to pay to get away from SAFARI (we’d had to walk far from the street to get to it) and towards the better place.


He said not to pay, but get on, and offered us sprite.  This was a school trip for kids like the presidents nephews and the offspring of other famous African leaders.  They were on their way to crater lake and elementita.   Said we can go too.


We had to beg hippo lake not to make us pay for 20 minutes of sitting at their tables waiting to go—ended up being only a few dollars (not bad).


Then we ate lunch together (free), had an AMAZING conversation about God with the leader of the students (job) and went to crater lake.

Court and I couldn’t believe it!  It was beautiful, free, lovely, giraffe-y and zebra-y.


Then the problems began   we had assumed since they were going to several places, that by 4 something we could start getting back to kijabe (to be home by 630).  After the second group of students presented (center of the reserve, no matatus around) we got nervous.  It was getting thundery and dark and already 5:30.  I think the leaders hoped to see us camp for the evening and purposely did presentations for 2 hours in the sanctuary.


We left late and Courtney’s face was so worried.  Up a skinny one laner—slowly..til another bus came in the opposite direction, with as much on top of it as stuff inside..


They wouldn’t back up the bus. Neither would we.  So we talked about it.  For 45 minutes.  Then they threatened our lives: “this is our land and if you do not move, our villagers will push over the bus.”


We moved backwards.  The whole way we had come, we moved backwards.  Oh man! Im really tired!  Got to finish it tomorrow.



To be continued..


Leave a comment

Filed under Uncategorized

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s